SAFEGUARDING POLICY PROMOTING A SAFER CHURCH
Church of England Diocese of Ely Parish Safeguarding Policy
The following policy was agreed at each Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held during March & April 2019
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
· Promoting a safer environment and culture.
· Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
· Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
· Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
· Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
· Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
· Create a safe and caring place for all.
· Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
· Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
· Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
· Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
· Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
· Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
· Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
· Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
· Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
· Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
These churches appoint Jessica Linskill as the Parish Safeguarding Officer
Incumbent: Canon Shamus Williams
Rector: Canon Shamus Williams MA
The Vicarage, High Street, Guilden Morden, Herts SG8 0JP
Parish Safeguarding Officer: Mrs Jessica Linskill 01763 853150
Abington Pigotts: no churchwardens, so see contacts above.
Steeple Morden: no churchwardens, so see contacts above.
Tadlow: see above contacts.
Litlington: Mrs. Sue Jenkins 01763 852974; Mr. John Jenner 01763 242127
Guilden Morden: Mrs. Christine Furmston 01763 852125; Mr. Mike Birrell 01763 852174
Wendy: Mr. Chris Jennings 01223 207228
Where to get help
Cambridgeshire Children’s Services
Tel: 0345 045 5203
Out of hours :01733 234724
Cambridgeshire Adult Services
Tel: 0345 045 5202
National Support Organisations
NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 0808 808 8141 (free phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm)
National Rape Crisis Helpline: 0808 802 9999 and is open every day from 12-2.30pm and 7-9.30pm.
The Survivors Trust: 0808 801 0818 and is open Monday to Wednesday 10-7.30pm, Thursday 10-6pm and Friday 10-2pm